Tell Tale Signs of a Hidden Water Leak
The possibility of an underground water leak can be very concerning. These leaks are hidden until such time that signs of the leak start to emerge, which can be a long time after the actual leak began. It’s imperative that if you identify any of the tell tale signs of a hidden water leak that you act quickly before further damage occurs. To identify an underground water leak you should be on the lookout for the following signs:
- A drop in water pressure – you may notice as you go about your daily activities, such as when hosing your garden or having your shower that here is a noticeable drop in the volume of water that you are used to.
- Water sounds – depending on the location, it may be possible to hear water running, however this will be unlikely in the event of deep underground leaks.
- Changes in landscape – underground leaks will accumulate a substantial amount of water which will make its way to the surface. You may notice wet areas, pooling of water or perhaps lush and green grass in spots compared to other areas.
- Potholes – soggy areas may show up with sink holes as the water softens and erodes away at the previously firm soil.
- Pipelines – there may be the presence of dirt or air in your water showing up with discolouration or sputtering pipes when in use.
- Cracking of pavers – as the underground becomes wet and unstable under paved areas, the movement can cause pavers to bulge up or crack.
- Structures leaning – solid structures may lose their stability with the excessively wet sub-terrain, causing things such as fences to begin to lean.
- Water Meter – should you notice that the water meter is turning over despite there being no water usage going on inside the home then it is a definite indication that unknown sources of water are being used and need to be identified.
- Water Usage – there is a noticeable increase in the use of water with the quarterly water bill escalating in comparison to previous readings. This means that the problem has gone undetected over a substantial period of time.
Keep an eye out for these tell-tale signs and if you suspect any leaks, seek professional assistance from AMS Plumbing without delay as hidden water leaks have the potential to cause significant damage. To contact us, click here.