Hot water emergency? How to tell if you need a new hot water system.
If your hot water system isn’t heating your water, it is highly likely is about to fail and depending on the reason for that it could soon be a hot water emergency.
How to tell if you need a new hot water system
- Discoloured water. If your hot water is running brown or cloudy and doesn’t clear up after a few seconds then you may have a failing hot water system on your hands. A plumber will be able to determine what the issue is and whether it is fixable.
- No hot water. This is the most common sign that your hot water system is broken. If water is taking a long time to heat up, or not heating up at all then you’ll need your system looked at ASAP. The tank may need to be flushed, or may need to be replaced entirely.
- Dodgy thermostat. If you are finding yourself having to tweak the thermostat more than occasionally then your hot water system may not be working properly and your thermostat will need immediate attention.
- It’s making a racket. If your hot water system is noisy then you have a problem, as they should be silent. Any rattling or creaking indicates a broken heating element and/or dirt and debris built up in the system.
- Leaks. An obvious one, but one that often goes ignored until water is pooling beneath the tank! If you spot any leaks at all, no matter how small, this is an urgent sign of trouble and the tank will likely need to be replaced.
A hot water maintenance system check performed by a licensed plumber should be performed regularly to help avoid your hot water system failing and spot any problems early!
If you notice any of these signs that your hot water system is failing AMS Plumbing can check your system and save you getting into hot water with your hot water system!