5 x reasons why you should clean your gutters regularly
How often should you clean your gutters?
Gutters play an integral role in keeping your home structurally sound and are one of the most vital elements of your roof. If they are compromised then they can cause major issues to your home and result in costly repairs. Fortunately, by keeping gutters well maintained, you can avoid the majority of these problems and the best way to maintain them is to clean your gutters regularly.
5 reasons you want to clean your gutters regularly
- To avoid structural damage to your home. When gutters are full of leaves or debris rainwater is not able to drain. This means it backs up and will have to find it’s way out of your gutters another way, usually via your roof. Blocked gutters are one of the main causes of roof leaks and damage. If not addressed this build-up of water can leak into your walls and foundation, significantly affecting the structural integrity of your home.
- For your health. As moulds thrive in wet moist places, by keeping your gutters clear and directing water away, you can prevent any build-up of moulds in your home that could cause respiratory issues and skin irritations.
- To saves you money. Regular cleaning of your gutters will save you money in. This may seem counterintuitive but the cost of cleaning your gutters regularly will be far less than the repairs to your roof, gutters or foundation that will be necessary at some point.
- To deters pests. Gutters full of leaves, debris and water provide the perfect breeding ground for bugs, grubs, insects and pests. Before you know it you could find yourself with a bee or mosquito infestation.
- To avoid seasonal issues. Storm season in Queensland is unpredictable, storms can come out of nowhere and your gutters need to be prepared for the excess water they’ll have to deal with.
Now that you’re familiar with why you should clean your gutters, it’s time for how and when!
When to clean gutters
How often you clean your gutters will depend on where you live and what your surroundings are like but on average, you should get them professionally cleaned 1-4 times a year whilst checking that everything is flowing freely throughout the rest of the year.
How to clean gutters
Whilst you can clean your gutters yourself, doing so does pose risks to your safety so we advise engaging a professional who will be able to clear your gutters safely and efficiently and also advise on the regularity of your gutter cleaning requirements.